Job Title: Facilities and Operations Assistant
The Facilities and Operations Assistant will assist in planning, organizing, and directing the daily operation of the yard, dock and berth in Vallejo. Will stage equipment, materials, and supplies at dock area and loaded onto barges by large dockside crane. Position will support all yard, facility and equipment activities.
This is on-site in Vallejo, Califonia. Only local candidates will be considered.
• Stage equipment, materials and supplies at dock area for loading onto barges using crane.
• Assist the Superintendent and Facilities Manager to quote, procure, accept, inventory and report material deliveries in support of jobs.
• Optimally organize and store pre-job materials by job.
• Arrange for jobsite delivery of additional tools, equipment, material and supplies as needed.
• Direct the storage of unused post-job materials. Organize by type of material, inventory and report as available for future jobs, return to client, sell or liquidate or scrap.
Tools, Rigging and Supplies:
• Arrange for disposal of job debris.
• Coordinate with the Superintendent or Facilities Manager to identify required supplies for specific upcoming jobs, such as: oxygen, acetylene, fuel, welding supplies, absorbent materials, drinking water and sanitary facilities.
• Store and inspect rigging as directed by the Superintendent.
• Determine minimum tool inventory levels and requirements. Procure, accept, store and distribute to correct jobsites.
• Organize to maintain a full complement of tools on each working barge. Send repairable tools to Port Engineer for inspection, repair or replacement.
• Work with Port Engineer to oversee repair and servicing of equipment including barges, cranes, forklifts, welding machines, air compressors, boat engines, winches, piledriving hammers and company vehicles. Track maintenance in the Equipment Matrix maintained in Excel Spreadsheet.
• Schedule, track and document equipment inspections, deficiencies, maintenance services, minor repairs, major overhauls, upgrade projects and crane certifications.
Physical Plant and Yard:
• Supervise yard employee(s) and crews between mobilizations to maintain yard, shops and dock areas keeping them clean, organized, safe, environmentally compliant and weed and pest free.
• Dispatch a driver as necessary to perform pick-ups or deliveries.
• Maintain office facility in a presentable manner.
• Process debris and regulated waste per regulation. (See Safety and Environmental)
Safety and Environmental:
• Attend and participate in weekly “tailgate” safety meetings. Assist or fill-in for Safety Supervisor as needed to present timely topics.
• Assure placement of life rings, fire extinguishers and ladders alongside the dock.
• Maintain compliant used oil area, i.e., dated drums, labels, placards, recordkeeping and timely disposal. Work with Safety Supervisor for compliance information.
• Other duties and projects as assigned
• CDL – Class C – with clean record (no DUI’s, or excessive or major violations)
• REQUIRED: Heavy Civil/Construction equipment experience. Marine experience preferred.
• Operate forklift
• Use and operation of computer and related software (Outlook Excel, Work)
• Ability to use a variety of construction tools such as torches, grinders, roto hammers, needle guns, drills, pumps, chains and skill saws.
• Knowledge of safety policies, regulations, and a demonstrated record of excellent safe work habits
• Ability to communicate using the English language.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication
• Read and utilize maintenance manuals, vendor catalogs, and computer user guides.
• Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with others during the course of work.
• Good attention to detail
• Work well with little supervision
Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma or GED
The physical and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk, use hands and finger to handle objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; bending or crouching; talk or hear.
• Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Physically bending, twisting, kneeling for the majority of the work shift.
• Ability to stand for long periods of time
• Ability to maneuver in small areas
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds throughout the day
• Required to wear protective and safety equipment such as safety shoes, glasses, gloves, hearing protection, and hard hats
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to indoor and outdoor weather conditions and other elements prevalent at the time. Field work often includes uneven and slippery outdoor surfaces.
The noise level in the work environment is typical of machinery noise which can be distracting and loud at times. May be exposed to dust, and fluctuation in outside temperatures.